The decision to build a square at the entrance to the Faubourg des Vosges in the 1920s may well have been part of the project to embellish the town and in response to hygiene preoccupations at that time.
From 1929 the municipality's garden services were located in proximity to this square, on the decision of Emile Lechten, and this service was responsible for producing the numerous varieties of plants necessary for the flower-beds.
The monumental ironwork of the gate was carried out by Charles Schick, a wrought-iron worker, and dates from 1929. The square gained its reputation right from the early years for its floral compositions, impressive flower mosaics, thanks to the talent of Emile Lechten, head-gardener at that time. The Square Lechten has been listed in the supplementary inventory of the 'Monuments Historiques' since 1992.