This former fair ground, which since 1924 has been the site of the Monument aux Morts de la Grande Guerre (Great War memorial), was transformed between 1925 and 1927, into a pleasant square whose sobre lines and grandness can still be admired today. The layout and the variety of the plantations, flower-beds, bushes, lawns and other 'finery à la Française', add to the solennity of this site devoted to remembrance.
'Le Poilu' (name given to the French soldiers in the First world war), a bronze statue measuring 2.10m high, at the entrance to the square, makes the site even more peaceful and symbolic. The garden decorations in the southern part, are embellished with the 'Gaulois mourant', a sorrowful marble statue by Delhomme.
- Secondary type: park and garden