The works were entrusted to the builder Henri Schuller according to plans drawn by Mareschal, an ordinary engineer working for the king. During building work there were numerous material complications and the project was not completed until 23 years later.
In 1750, the church was opened for worship. It is a fine building made of pink sandstone, in classical style whose facade has two towers (the southern tower was not completed until 1845).
From 1740 to 1749 numerous artisans were hired to build the interior and do the decorations. Antoine Cupillard, a sculptor from Franche-Comté made the sculptures inside the building, the master altar (originally made of wood) was replaced in 1793 by the marble altar from the Dominican church of Guebwiller. Statue work was done by Massol and Neumann. Matthias Chapuis, master ironworker from Giromagny, made the iron railings for the choir. They were replaced in 1864 after having been removed and transformed during the Revolution. In 1749, J.C Valtrin was awarded the contract to build the organ.
In 1843, thanks to the intervention of the deputy Bellonet, the state offered Belfort a large painting by the Belfort painter Gustave Dauphin representing the 'final dressing for Christ's sepulture'.
This building was listed as a 'Monuments Historiques' in 1930.
- Secondary type: religious heritage
- Listed or registered (CNMHS)